This is an Archival quality Giclee after an original hand coloured lithograph by famous maritime illustrator, Thomas Goldsworthy Dutton (1820-1891), published in London by William Foster, August 1st, 1864 after the maiden voyage. The "City of Adelaide" was commissioned to transport passengers to and goods (wool, copper and grain) in 23 return trips to South Australia between 1864-1887. On the 6th August 1864 the City of Adelaide began her maiden voyage to South Australia when she left London and proceeded to Plymouth to collect more passengers. After six days sailing, she was sighted off Plymouth on the 12th August. The remaining passengers sailed out to her by small boat (possibly seen here to the distant left) and boarded her. A lighthouse is seen in the distanceThe "City of Adelaide" Clipper departed the same day bound for Adelaide under the command of Captain David Bruce. Smeaton's Tower Lighthouse , designed by Britain's first civil engineer, John Smeaton, can be seen in the distance.
Includes Limited certificate with history of this magnificent "City of Adelaide" clipper, sister-ship to the HMS Cutty Sark, residing at Greenwich, London.
Antiquarian Maritime Series Conservation Quality Limited Edition Giclee Limited /300
Size of image = 42cm x 56cm (16 2/3 in x 22 1/3 in )
The ensuing-use of the "City of Adelaide" Clipper was to be many and varied: back in Britain the clipper was sold to a Dover coal Merchant, then a Belfast timber trader between Britain and Canada, used as an isolation hospital by the Southampton Corporation, has a change of name to HMS Carrick as a Royal Navy refitted training ship after WWI, in 1948 used as a R.N.V.R Club moored on the River Clyde in Scotland, before being saved from demolition in 1990 by the Scottish Maritime Museum that had plans to restore the historic survivor. However in 1999, with the regaining of the Scottish Parliament, the UK funds dried up. Once again, as in 1948, then again in 1989, the Clipper was slated for demolition.
After a protracted struggle the clipper renamed "City of Adelaide" before enduring an epic journey on the MV Palanpur to a new home in her namesake, Adelaide, South Australia. The oldest surviving composite-hull (metal and timber) clipper ship now resides now resides in Port Adelaide. With the dedication of the Volunteers of the "Clipper Ship City of Adelaide Ltd. (CSCOAL)" the hull is open for tours & undergoing extensive restoration. Here is an update of the "City of Adelaide" since arrival in her new home.
This is an ideal & exciting location given the maritime history of boat-building evidenced in Garden Island Ship's Graveyard Heritage Trail in the Port.
Posted by Ripa on 3rd Jan 2013
So fortunate to be welcoming this beast back back to port...finally!
Posted by lizzy on 13th Oct 2011
The perfect gift for the man who has it all!
Just when thought he had all the sailing collectibles ont he market here is some real history to get his teeth into!
Posted by Lyndall on 10th Sep 2011
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sending this treasure. So many South Australians have descended from those intrepid settlers !