This scene of Victor Harbor was originally lithographed by Louis Henn & Co., Adelaide, in 1883.
The History of Encounter Bay begins with the chance ‘Encounter’ of a the English captain, Matthew Flinders, and French captain, Nicholas Baudin, on 8th April, 1802.
It is not until March 1837 a whaling station was established on Granite Island (closed in 1870), one year after settlement of the Colony. In April that year Capt. Richard Crozier arrived in the H.M.S. Victor and considered the Bay to be a better port than that of Glenelg or Port Adelaide and named it after his ship.
Both Governors Hindmarsh and Gawler believed it would make an excellent capital for the new Colony with its superior port and access to the River Murray (Hindmarsh bought the land we now call the Bluff.) However neither prevailed. In 1854 a jetty was constructed which in 1875 was changed into a 630 metre causeway connecting Granite Island to the mainland. In the same year a horse drawn tram was introduced as Victor Harbor had become a popular tourist destination.
Size of image = 32cm x 24cm
Archival Edition Limited to 300 each image. Issued with numbered certificate.