Loading... Please wait...
  • In 1864 the City of Adelaide clipper was built by William Pile, Hay & Co. at Sunderland, County Durham, which was launched on the 7th May, that year. In the earliest days of the new colony of South Australia ships were chartered or purchased for carrying selected emigrants, stores and supplies with many of them making one journey. With the early economic challenges of this new colony the settlers applied themselves to the land and was soon supplying grain to New Zealand & Mauritius. However, the most profitable market lay in London. 
The "City of Adelaide" was a loyal workhorse that was employed to carry general cargo and emigrants to South Australia and exports home to Great Britain between 1864 and 1886 at the rate of once a year. At first she brought the usual British manufacture and poroduce cargo but soon was reported to return with “ 100 tons of copper, 100 tons of ore and 30000 bales of wool”. Occassionally she would take quantities of grain and flour. As a fully rigged sailing vessel she could take full advantage of the roaring 40s and 50s in the latter race with the steam ships.
What became of this historic ship? During the Second  World War the ship, now known as the HMS Carrick, was  used as an accommodation ship and later as a clubrooms fo the RNVR Club I Glasgow. In 2008 the City of Adelaide’s fate is in the lap of the Gods as she sits in an Irvine slip-way in Scotland with  a demolition order hanging over her .  http://www.cityofadelaide.org.au. 
Without public support and awareness his remarkable survivor will soon be lost forever…
(May, 2008)
STOP THE PRESS ( August 2010 ) “Turn Clipper Ship into a Tourism Flag ship” Scottish Government has given Adelaide 12 months to remove the hull to PORT ADELAIDE!

GOLDEN AGE OF SAIL ~ "The City of Adelaide" on its maiden voyage 1864

$154.90

Product Description

Clipper Ship, “City of Adelaide”, 1000 tons David Bruce, Commander. Uncover the clipper's important story...

To Messrs. Devitt & Moore Owners Messrs Wm Pile, Hay & Co. ,Builders & the Officers of the Ship this print is most respectfully dedicated by their obedient servant, Wm. Foster

The original was a hand coloured lithograph by Thomas Dutton (c.1819-1891) published in London by William Foster, August 1st, 1864 after the maiden voyage. Includes Limited certificate with history of this magnificent Clipper.

Antiquarian Maritime Series Conservation Quality Limited Edition Giclee Reproduction Limited /300

Size of image = 42cm x 56cm

http://cityofadelaide.org.au/

Product Reviews

Write Review

  1. Beautiful!!!!! 5 Star Review

    Posted by on 3rd Jan 2013

    So fortunate to be welcoming this beast back back to port...finally!

  2. Maritime bliss! 5 Star Review

    Posted by on 13th Oct 2011

    The perfect gift for the man who has it all!
    Just when thought he had all the sailing collectibles ont he market here is some real history to get his teeth into!

Quantity:


 

Recent Updates

Connect with us

Newsletter