Corner of Rundle Street and King William Street a major shopping precinct (now a mall) in the city of Adelaide.
On the left is the famous "Bee-hive Corner". A Haberdasher held the coveted corner lease in at this time (1882-84). A new gothic facade was added in 1895. That has remained to the present. The opposite corner was an Inn at this time, and in more recent times, Darrel Lee Chocolates.
In May 1915 Alfred Haigh moved next door to the haberdasher, number 34 King William Rd, but soon claimed the high profile position to become of Haigh’s Chocolate Depot c.1916.
Number 34 King William Rd had been occupied by Carl Stratmann since 1913, but the hanging of the German Flag in protest of the German male interment, coinciding with the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915, resulted in Stratmann selling the business, machinery, recipes and patents to Haigh... See COLONIAL GERMAN IMMIGRATION, GALLIPOLI & ADELAIDE CONFECTIONERY
Size of image = 32.5cm x 24.5cm ( 13 x 9 2/3 inch)
Limited Edition Issued with /200 with Certificate